Kalwun provides Emergency Relief to families and individuals experiencing financial hardship. Limited funding is made available to Kalwun from the Department of Social Services to provide Food Vouchers. Food Vouchers are a safety net for people experiencing financial hardship or distress and who have limited means or resources to help them alleviate their immediate financial crisis.

Emergency relief is not a welfare benefit payment and strict eligibility criteria is set by the Department of Social Services with which KDC Ltd must comply.

To be eligible for an Emergency Relief Food Voucher you must:

  • Identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • Be a parent of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander dependants
  • Be a resident of the Gold Coast
  • Have an action plan to address the circumstances that have led to the financial hardship
  • Not have accessed Emergency Relief (food voucher) more than three times per household in a 12 month period.
  • Receive Centrelink Benefits (or be in the process of applying for Centrelink)

 What Emergency Relief assistance is available?

  • A single person – $40 food voucher
  • A family – $80.00 food voucher (dependants must be on the Centrelink income statement or a letter provided from Centrelink)

How to apply for Emergency Relief Food Voucher:

You must:

  • Complete an application form for Emergency Relief Funds (food voucher), outlining the circumstances that has led to financial hardship and how the situation will be addressed to avoid necessity for emergency relief in the future.
  • Provide proof of identification e.g. drivers licence, Medicare card or pension card
  • Provide current (within the last fortnight) Centrelink Income Statement showing a Gold Coast address (and where applying for family assistance – the dependants must also be listed on the statement)
  • Provide a current bank statement issued in the last month or ATM receipt issued the day of application showing account balance
  • Copy of any bills requiring payment e.g. electricity, registration, gas, rent

This process and supporting documentation is required each and every time an application is made for Emergency Relief funds.

An emergency relief form is required to be filled out by the person seeking the assistance at the Varsity Lakes Office. All forms and copies of relevant documents will be held on file.

Level 1, 14 Cassia Drive Varsity Lakes QLD 4227
P.O. Box 2588, Burleigh Waters QLD 4220

Ph: 07 55 783 434
Fax: 07 55 963 649